KeyNote: Features overview
A list of features and functions, no matter how detailed, will not do full justice to KeyNote. The program has been carefully designed to be very flexible yet easy to use. One of the most important qualities of an application is what it doesn't do: get in your way as you're doing your work. This is the main principle of KeyNote's design. Beyond that, KeyNote's power becomes visible through its use; you can combine functions to achieve novel results and bend the program to your needs.
KeyNote is used by screenwriters to draft screenplays, by medical doctors to keep patient databases, by developers to store source code snippets - and to everyone it serves as a place to put all the random pieces of information that have no particular structure of relationship to other data, and do not fit easily in task-specific applications such as word-processors, databases or spreadsheets. As you use KeyNote, it will tend to grow on you and every day you will discover more ways to use it. The list below only indicates major features that you would expect to see in an application of this type, but it does not exhaust the possibilities.
- RichText enabled editor, with many text formatting functions ad properties (font styles, colors, highlighted text, paragraph styles, bullets, numbered lists, etc.)
- Store many separate notes within one file; each note is displayed on its own, easily accessible tab. This is a much more convenient solution than opening several files on disk. Each note has independent font, color and editor settings.
- Choose between two types of notes: a simpler, editor-only note, or a tree-type note, which is a multi-level hierarchy of "branches", each with its own note. The two types of notes can be mixed freely within one file
- Tree type notes can be arranged horizontally (tree panel to the left of editor) or vertically (tree panel above the editor)
- Ability to create user-defined styles for text and paragraph properties
- Convenient keyboard shortcuts for all editing and file management commands
- Option to minimize to system tray
- Configurable activation hotkey to bring the program window to front after it was minimized to the system tray
- You can protect your data files with secure encryption using a strong cipher (Blowfish or IDEA)
- Integration with WordWeb, a freeware dictionary/thesaurus program (see http://wordweb.co.uk/free)
- Integration with UltimaShell Autocompletion Server, enabling smart autocompletion/autocorrect features. UAS learns words as you type them and is very configurable.
- Many uses can share KeyNote on one computer, with the ability to have independent personalized settings for each user
- Clickable hyperlinks to Internet addresses, local files and locations in KeyNote files
- Spellchecker module (requires MS Word 97 or MS Word 2000)
- Navigation history (move back/forward)
- Simple file manager to quickly open often-used files
- Export and import files (as plain text or RTF)
- Import of HTML documents with conversion to RTF format
- Ability to merge KeyNote files or exchange notes between them
- Fast and extremely configurable interface, very easy to navigate
- Ability to search for text in all notes in a file. Search results may be displayed in a list.
- Ability to perform simple AND / OR (boolean) searches
- Ability to create "virtual nodes" in the tree (nodes which are dynamically linked to external text or RTF files)
- Ability to preset default editor and tree settings (including font styles and colors) that will be automatically applied to newly created notes
- Ability to print notes
- Ability to send notes via E-mail (incl. a simple address book and signature handling)
- Ability to change icons assigned to notes (user-defined icons can be extracted from .ICO, .BMP, .EXE and .DLL files)
- Ability to specify custom icons for tree nodes
- "Clipboard capture" feature, enabling you to automatically capture and store any text that was copied to Clipboard in another Windows application
- Expression evaluation: type an arithmetic expression, press Ctrl+=, and KeyNote will calculate it and show the result.
- Text highlighting
- Glossary function to automatically replace a piece of text with another ("Expand text")
- Function to insert special characters
- A "match bracket" function
- ROT-13, reverse text, repeat last edit command, join and sort lines...
- Support for drag-and-drop file operations (including the ability to drag files from Windows Explorer)
- Find and Replace commands, with a single note or global scope
- Dockable, configurable toolbars
- Text statistics
- Configurable backup settings for additional data security, including multiple backups
- Simple bookmarks
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts
- Plugin support, for extending the functionality of the program
- Macro support, including macros automatically executed on creating a new file or adding a note
- Configurable ability to minimize program or automatically close current file after a predefined period of inactivity
- Import and export files in the format used by other freeware notebook-type programs: DartNotes and TreePad
- Unlimited number of notes that can be stored in a single file or a single tree-type note.
- Automatic installer and uninstaller
Version 2.0 is under development.
To see what new features and improvements are underway, please see KeyNote 2.0 Development FAQ